Roo problem and question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bedste, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    We have an aggressive Roo who is not making it difficult to even feed and water the flock. We are weighing out the options of separated him from the girls or sending him to freezer camp. He appears to be moulting. He has lost some feathers on the small of his back. If he is moulting do we need to wait until he is finished moulting to process and dress him?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi!

He's just trying to do his job of protecting the girls but I know that doesn't help any. You could separate him but it doesn't sound like you're that attached to him if you are also considering freezer camp. I've never processed a chicken so I don't know about the molting question but I would guess it doesn't matter. Someone else?

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    You might ask this question in the meat birds section, but if you decide to process them, I don't see why it would matter if he were in molt. It might even make it easier.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Molting will make no difference in how he tastes or how tough the meat is. You might notice more new feathers growing in than usual. These are the small feathers growing in that can be a be a bit difficult to get out.

With a rooster, make sure you cook him long and slow. They are very tough.

5. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    It's not worth it to deal with a nasty roo. Process him.
    I'm not sure if molting would make it harder to get new pinfeathers out or not- ask in the Meat Birds section?

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    molting wont matter dress him up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by