1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Why is the roo plucking the hens feathers at the vent & then feeding them back. They have plenty to eat & I feed them better than myself. Yes , they eat alot of protein & I haven't seen any mites .

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Strange behavior I wish I knew the answer.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Me too. I'm gonna keep an eye on this behavior because it doesn't seem right. May be someone has the answer. I guess if it gets out of hand I'll move the roo to his own coop. Glad I'm just about finished with coop # 2.He will be lonely because he is the only Roo.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Find yourself a pet store that has an avian section. There is an anti peck spray that tastes like bitter apples. Spray the hens fluff around their vents with it a couple times a week for a couple weeks. Anytime you get a feather picking problem as you describe, that stuff will work. Small bottle, about 4 ounces. My bottle has lasted for years. Good luck.........Pop

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Hey, thanks I'll give it a whirl. Hope, I can find this spray. Crazy chickens .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by