1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ROO Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice2ndlt, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I was outside today working in my chickens run. I heard this noise and went to check on it and it was my roo in one of the nesting box's scratching around like he was wanting to lay. Is this normal? He is a 1yr old sexlink.

2. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    by roo you mean rooster right? i dont think hes gonna be laying any time soon. he could be looking for eggs if there are hens around? do any eggs go missing? chickens love eating eggs. if so put something hard in like a golf ball or fake egg. it helps to stop them from eatin

3. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Yes this is normal behavior. he is trying to entice a hen to get on the nest and lay an egg. Alot of roos do this. It is thier way of saying Hey check out this spot. It would be perfect to start your nest.

4. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I know he wont be laying any eggs lol. I have 7 hens and they lay in different nests. I just didnt know if that was normal or what he was doing. Never noticed him doing it before but i do have to hens going broody. do you think that could be a reason?

5. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    oh yeah that could easily be. our rir do the same thing. lol just the way you said it sounded funny.

6. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    Oh ok that make sense.[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. He's encouraging the hens to nest there.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My roo does that to [​IMG] When he comes in the house he will get up on the couch and do that LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by