Roo question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WVChickenFarmer, Jun 13, 2011.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Do roosters usually feather out slower then the females? I remember my aunt saying her roo's when they was chicks went through a ugly stage. I have 2 that I am about 80% sure they are roo's.
    They are feathering out a lot slower then the other chicks and I noticed yesterday that one had shiny feathers and noticed a hint of green. I'm not sure how to explain it. I'm probably not making sense. But the feathers he/she is getting look more shiny then the other chicks feathers. I think the rest are pullets. They are some where between 4-5 weeks old.

Here is couple pics I got last couple not sure if you tell just by looking at these pictures. Sorry I know the pics are not the best. I had hard time just getting these.

roo 1 ? (this one has a greenish tint to his feathers)
    [​IMG]

roo 2
    [​IMG]

everyone together ready for bed.
    [​IMG]

2. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Roo's usually grow faster but if they have more shiney or flashy feather they are probably males. They could be younger than the pullets, or since their a different breed they could grow slower. Oh and the one with the green shine is probably an Australop roo. And this is going on with my silkie roo. He is half the size of some of my hens, but i no hes a roo, he crows, has a big comb, and wattles. OH! Also a way i use to sex my chicks when there a month is look at all of them and see if there getting wattles and have a larger comb. If they have starts of wattles they are probably males. Works with my RIR. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Could be. It's hard to tell from the pics but appears possible. Good luck, enjoy and have fun!!! [​IMG]

4. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Ok, so I'm confused lol. I have been told the roo's grow slower. lol. Well I'm pretty sure the Australop is a roo.

My buff orpington grew way faster then rest of the chicks. This is one reason I thought it was a roo. It has even already had wattles for about 2 weeks now. I have another chick which I believe is another orp and has wattles to. Maybe I need get better pictures of them also.

I guess I won't know 100% until some one crows. lol

5. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:I haven't been told they grow slower but from raising chickens and chicks in my experince the roo grow way faster than my pullets. Yah, some ofmy hens have a roo sized wattle but they didnt have they when they were little.

6. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Do you all see the black one beside the brown one and has the buff orp beside it. I think this one might be a roo also. It already has wattles and comb seems to be higher up then some of the rest.

7. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Quote:I haven't been told they grow slower but from raising chickens and chicks in my experince the roo grow way faster than my pullets. Yah, some ofmy hens have a roo sized wattle but they didnt have they when they were little.

Well the 2 I'm talking about have had their wattles since they were like 3 weeks.

8. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Sorry last post now thinking about it I might have more roosters then I think. lol Oh, gosh it is going be hard decide who to keep. I really don't want any more then 1-2 roosters.

My grandma use to raise chickens when I was growing up. But I can barley remember her chicks. So that is one reason why I am asking. She use to have bannies/banties not sure if I spelled that right.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here are some pics of some of my 6 week old chicks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. WVChickenFarmer

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Thanks for the pictures. But I'm pretty sure I do have at least one rooster if not more. I have never seen a hen with the greenish tint to their feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by