Roo Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mirjam, Aug 30, 2008.

1. mirjam

mirjam Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    Let me introduce Leopold my golden laced wyandotte cockerel:
    He and the flock of 7 girls turned 4 months this week. He is currently going through his adolescent molt and the beautiful rooster feathers are coming in. He is finally growing tail feathers too. He has had some sort of bunny but with just the under plumes covering his behind.
    He is considerably bigger than the girls and as it stands he is second in command. Polly the BR pullet is is the boss and has given him a beating or two. Other than being a greedy bird and bullying for the front seat at the feeder, he has been quite pleasant with the pullets and the humans. I haven't noticed any aggression towards myself or other people.
    He has crowed sporadically for the last 5 or six weeks, but only in the morning (never before 6am) and only in the coop. He hasn't crowed at all the last 7 days. I'm rather pleased with his lack in calling out loud, but am wondering if he is a late bloomer or just a real mellow boy?
    Any opinions?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My opinion is you are lucky! So am I - we bought 1 roo and 6 hens a week ago and the roo is sweet and in control. He is the master but is nice to us and to hens. Not to the rabbit though. HAHAHA

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He's not completely matured yet, so all this may still change.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Not all roosters are mean or overly aggressive.

With Wyandottes, it can be a bit of a toss-up. They are typically docile and can be friendly, but once in a while, you'll get an aggressive one. It looks like your rooster is just the friendly sort.

Eventually, he'll figure things out and court the hens...maybe assert his dominance a little bit more in the flock. Right now, though, he's like a clueless adolescent. [​IMG] Likely, he'll remain friendly toward you as long as you keep visiting him daily and giving him attention.

5. mirjam

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    What about the crowing? He seems to have no interest in even practicing his call. Is there such a thing as a "quiet" roo?

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If there are no other roo's in you area crowing, then he won't feel the urge to have to crow every 10 minutes to establish his territory.

7. debilorrah

Mine crows in the morning, whenever another roo crows or at night to get the babes in the pen.

8. mirjam

May 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I hear what you are saying Rooster-Red, but there are other Roosters out there and I hear them crow - not very loud, but If I can hear that, my cockerel with his acute hearing should hear it even better.

9. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    You could come to my neighborhood where the roos have a jam fest all day long... every day. Last count was like 4 or 5 different roos crowing.

10. debilorrah

We have a dozen or more around us. But mine isn't very loud. But he sure is pretty :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by