Roo Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Janrhy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Janrhy

Janrhy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    PA
    Thanks again for all input.....

I just thought of 2 more questions....

If we get a broody hen and end up with peeps, then they grow and we get a roo, can he mate with the others since they all have the same fther? I know this might be a dumb question, but does incest matter with chickens?

Also, if a roo starts to become aggressive (he hasn't attacked yet, but he did chase the kids) is there a way to teach him to leave us alone? Are you supposed to kick them, lol? That is what my DH tells me to do if there is an issue.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    edited..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. I have yet to cross brother sister on purpose. We did a "barn suprise" this last fall and I do believe we had a few of these. Some of them died off after maturing, but many are still kicking although they are pretty odd looking.

4. Janrhy

Janrhy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    PA
    Thanks, I will not worry about it then.

This chicken business is pretty easy. I am really enjoying having them, they are fun to watch, and great for the kids. We just love collecting together, but it is still very new. I have a feeling we will be supplying the neighborhood with eggs for awhile. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by