Roo questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ady Road Chicks, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    I have 2 roo questions...When do they first start to crow? I was given 2 Polish chickens and I was told they were both girls. Well, to make a long story short, Phyllis started crowing yesterday. (I guess it is now Phil [​IMG] ) My DH says we should change his name to R.I.D. for Rooster In Drag. [​IMG]
    Secondly, I already have a Wellsummer rooster with the big girls. What will happen when I put the Polish out with the big chickens? I don't see Phil doing very well in a disagreement with Mack Daddy (the Wellsummer). Would it be better to try and find Phil a new home?

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    They will start to crow when they are adolescents. Maybe around 16 weeks old. If you put the two roo's together especially in a pen where the one already lives, they will fight. Do you know why a rooster crows? Because he's awake.

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Ohio

My roo crows at the first sign of daylight, then he crows when the ladies start to lay eggs. Once again , he's crowing when those girls are out of his sight! I let my flock free-range all day every day.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I didnt have problems with 2 roosters together for several months, nearly a year but one was the offspring of the other and they were always in the same pen. Id agree that if you introduce a new roo the already established roo will fight him. I would have liked to keep my youngster because he was just gorgeous but I rehomed him because the girls clearly prefered the older roo and always followed his lead. Could you establish a second pen and give him a couple young ladies? I wish I had been able to do that.

5. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    The established flock has about an acre to free range in all day and they sleep in a 10x12 wooden shed. Currently I have the Wellsummer rooster, a Wellsummer hen, a Jersey Giant hen (not yet laying), 3 Silkie hens, and a white mutt hen. The Polish rooster and hen are, I guess, 16-ish weeks since he just started crowing. She isn't laying yet. I also have 11 unknown babies that hatched out July 3. I wasn't planning on keeping any of the babies that turn out to be roosters. Do you think 1 acre is not enough room for the two roosters? I wish I could somehow give each one their own Kingdom and give the Polish the new babies when they are old enough. Oh, the barnyard drama. My DH just shakes his head at me and goes to the cigar shop. [​IMG]

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I would think its not so much the acre as the number of ladies. I think I read something like 10 hens per roo to hopefully keep them from fighting but I thiink they would still challenge each other on occasion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by