1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo raising biddie's UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chilling in muscadine, Jun 21, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    One of my game hen's hatched 3 biddie's. Almost immediatly she started laying again. She is now sitting on 7 egg's. She just left her babie's to the roo I call Bashful. He is doing a wonderful job. The funny part is at night seeing him holding the biddie's under his wing. I wish I could get a pic but he's called Bashful for a reason. I've never seen this before, has anyone else experienced this? This just blows me away. Life is a trip! PEACE

Well the hen in with Bashful now has biddie's 15 day's old today. She didn't start laying right away like she did with her last batch. Bashful is still taking care of the older biddie's and it's a riot watching them get settled in for the night. The biddie's are still getting under bashful's wing and the funny part is he is still letting them. They are almost as big as he is. I wish I could get a pic but I have to watch this behavior from a distance. I wonder how much longer he will allow these biddie's to sleep under him? I wonder if I could get him to sit? Now that would be something for the book's. lol

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    That's so sweet! Can you get a pic of him during the day?

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I've heard that Welsummer roosters raise their young. I'll know for sure by next year. [​IMG] I think it's sweet. Sure would love to see a picture of Bashful.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sweet. Maybe Bashful can help roos be seen in better light. In the commercial world, they are killed from the get go. Photos would be wonderful.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by