roo ran off

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kasey08, Jul 27, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i let my rir hen and roo out for the first time both adults. it got dusk and they still wasnt in coop so i caught the hen and figured the roo would follow went back later and he was gone so i desided to close the coop bc i didnt want something to be able to get my hen. the next morning there is no sign of him so now my hen is all alone [​IMG] why didnt he go back to the coop? ive had them for 2 months

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Uhhh . . . if you let your two chickens out in a (large?) area unsupervised and without the protection of a covered pen, I would suspect that something ate him. Chickens need protection from predators if they are to survive.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Most likely ran off, or eaten, by a predator.

4. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    yeah but ive read on here that they would go back to the coop when it was about to be dark

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens dislike change. Since it was his first time out, he hadn't figured out how to get back to the coop. It takes some of them forever to figure things out or to adapt to change. I agree he was probably eaten by a predator. Make sure your coop is secure. The predator will return.

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    It often takes a week or so of me putting the buggers in the coop each night before they figure it out. I have learned over the years that if you lock them in the coop for a couple of days, once you let them out they are more likely to go back in on thier own.

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other posters. I think he was dead before dark, he must have died protecting his hen during the day sometime. It only takes a few minutes for a dog or coyote to carry off a chicken.

8. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    no he was there when i caught the hen i guess he didnt want to get put back in. they are both more wild then my other chickens so there is no way i could have caught him. [​IMG]

and ive had them for 2 months so i just figured they would know to go back in?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI,
    I know you did not do anything to put your rooster in danger..........as implied by some other posters.
    I agree, he may have been taken by a preditor.............He may also return on his own when he feels like it.or could be confused about getting back to the coop.

This is really hard enough when we lose a chicken without having guilt pilled on.
    I purchased 4 three month old sliver laced wyn's recently.They were so cute and just hung around with each other. I paid a lot for them.I had them out with my others,24,just a few weeks younger. When I went to check on them..two of the new ones were missing. I believed they were safe.or I wouldn't have had them out......the two of them disappeared,not a sound, not a feather.....we looked and looked.and waited and waited hoping for their return......Anyway, I do not know what happened to them.am thinking hawks now.
    Don't be hard on yourself. These learning curves are difficult and sometimes even our best efforts fail.

10. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    its ok i just wanted to let me be chickens and free range i thought they would have the best chance since they are rir and meaner then my silkies but i guess i wont ever let any free range again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by