Roo RE-integration Problem. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shanshan51, Dec 16, 2011.

1. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    We decided to breed our "Bob" to a hen in their own pen. However the hen stopped laying and "Bob" HATES I mean HATES being penned after being free ranged with other hens and his buddy "Foggy" our other free range rooster. The two roo's would put themselves away at night and always sleep together with the girls piling on the outside of them to cuddle. Bob and Foggy were best buddies.

Well here comes the problem.

After Bob was separated for less than a week we tried to let him back into the free range flock. However, Foggy does not seem to want Bob back and they got into a fight. Poor Bob was chased into a pile and my fiance had to rescue him and put him back in his pen to avoid damages. All along Foggy chasing at my fiances heels to let Bob know he lost.

Is there a way we can get them to be buddies again? Maybe put Bob on the roost at night and try to let them all out together in the morning as they had done for a while in the past?

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm.. well it's probably because now Foggy was able to become the dominant roo and have power of the ladies. Now he doesn't want to give that up and is sort of rubbing it in Bob's face by chasing him away. NEver had this problem before so not really sure what to suggest. What about separating both of them but let them see each other. Just like you're adding a new chicken to the group.

3. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Thats how it has been the past couple days. They have been able to see and hear each other the whole time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by