Roo, really? post 1 pics = 9 weeks, post 4 pics = 11 weeks

sarafrog

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Sacramento
I'd love to hear an experienced person's opinion of the sex of my 9-week-old Blue Jersey Giant and Cuckoo Maran (mostly the Maran...I'm pretty sure the Jersey is a pullet). Thanks!
28774_dsc01576.jpg

28774_dsc01577.jpg

Last edited:
I think the maran is a roo. It has a different tail shape, and a much lighter color than my adult hens. Its comb and wattles are also very big for that age. My hen's were practically no existant until a few weeks before they began laying at 6 months.

Last edited:
That's what I'm afraid of...I was sure the Maran was a pullet until I found another home for the other Maran I had (same hatch) which was definitely a cockerel. The next day, this one started making crowing-like sounds in the morning and the comb and wattles have grown a bit more. The other Maran showed his comb and wattles at about 3-4 weeks and began trying to crow at 6 weeks and this one looked very much like a pullet at that time. Time will tell but if the crowing persists I won't be able to keep this one regardless of sex.
sad.png

Here are some new pics of my Cuckoo Maran (I'm afraid is a cockerel) and my blue Jersey Giant. Both were hatched 3/12 and are just over 11 weeks old. I'd like confirmation of sex from some more experienced chicken keepers. I can't keep roosters so I need to re-home the Maran if it is indeed a "he." I'm pretty sure the Jersey is a pullet but would like feedback on her as well. Thanks, BYCers!

28774_dsc01589.jpg
28774_dsc01588.jpg
28774_dsc01587.jpg
28774_dsc01586.jpg
28774_dsc01585.jpg
28774_dsc01584.jpg
28774_dsc01583.jpg
28774_dsc01582.jpg
28774_dsc01579.jpg

Please help if you can. I don't mean to be impatient but the sex of this Maran will dictate whether or not I can adopt a BO hen in need of a home. I have a friend who will be happy to take this Maran if it is indeed a roo... Thanks!

Do I need to post different pics? If so, please let me know what areas to highlight. I tried to show heads, tail shape, hackle, and saddle areas. Both have little spur buds but it sounds like that is not a reliable indicator of anything. Thanks!

It looks like a roo, judging by tail feathers. I thought that Marans roos were lighter grey than hens, though. I'm not 100% sure. by this age, it should be crowing if it's a roo. I've never had Marans, so maybe someone else will have more wisdom.
Got these from feathersite:
12477_moronhen.jpeg

12477_maransmalelt.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have any other Marans to compare it with anymore. I got 2 as day-olds and the first was definitely a roo and re-homed at 8 weeks. This one looked very pullet-ish until I re-homed the roo and then it began changing in looks and behavior. Now it looks the way it does and crows inconsistently...not every day. I'm afraid it may be a subordinate roo that blossomed when its competition was removed.

I just want to be sure before I re-home it...but now in a bit of a hurry because a BYCer who lives near me has a BO hen that she can't keep. If this Maran is a roo, he's off to a new home and the BO will take his place...if the Maran is a pullet, she stays.

Back
Top Bottom