Roo requirements to keep, is 16 weeks too young to tell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poodlepill, Jun 21, 2010.

1. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    So I have someone interested in one of my Roo's and I have double's and triples of them and want to keep one of each breed, then narrow down from there to my 2 nicest birds.

I Have 3 BO roos, one of them at 16 weeks old is trying to establish himself. I see him chasing the other roo's now and chasing the pullets thus pulling out some feathers (none of them are ready for him yet) He doesn't seem to show any sort of caring for them yet, like showing them food or warning them ect. The other BO's are not as visually pretty as him and not as constantly stalking the pullets yet but I have seen them also half heartily grab a pullet.

I noticed that 3 or 4 of the Roo's are kind of staying away out in the pasture too, kind of like a bachelor flock, should I pick from them?

So do I keep him, or is he showing signs that he will be too aggressive towards the females. I have already laid down the law towards me to all the roo's (I grab them up, hang them upside down and then put them on the ground in submissive head down) So the roo's stay away from me LOL.

Are they just too young to tell if they will be good to their ladies and stay away from me?

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I've seen it posted where their true personalities come out after a year. i.e. some get mean and cantankerous. I am new to chickens too but I will hold off until they are a year old to get a good idea of which roo will be the better of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by