1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo Right? One more

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wolftracks, Dec 28, 2010.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    OK I had a beautiful big EE roo a while back and got a few chicks from him and a BR.

I have 2 that are just 2 weeks apart that I know are roos. Just rehomed one. This one and another though are throwing me off.

I was thinking they had to be color sexable, but I have 2 that look like this one and I'm just not sure.

Any guesses?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pullet ?? I've seen barred EE mix pullets on other threads so I think you can get females with that coloration.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm no help at all with the gender, but that is a cool-looking bird! Looks a bit like a young owl . . .

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm kind of hoping I have 2 pullets out of these. Re homing the roos. I have more roos than I know what t o do with.

If they're pullets I'm happy. That means maybe some green eggs in the fridge eventually.

I just think they turned out sooooo cool.

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    that looks so cool.
    it does look like an owl at first glimpse.

i'd say female but will wait for Illia to check in.[​IMG]

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    It appears to be out of your EE which means it would be a roo unless your EE was also barred. hens must have barring from both parents. EE roos can be slow to show their masculine side.

7. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a pullet to me at that age, hardly a sign of pink. A better side shot of the back might help, saddle feathers would be a definate answer for you.

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I am thinking it is a pullet you have there.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    No saddle feathers showing at all. The roo that I rehomed had blue, green and purple stripped wings and the barring was lighter. Don't think I have a pic of him anywhere, but he was gorgeous. I have one I know is a roo, because the the saddle feathers have been coming in and they are a light redish brown and looks so cool.

About looking like an owl. That's what I've been seeing to and I love it. so if they are pullets they stay, if they crow they go. LOL

So if anyone wants a cool looking roo, if that's what they are, I have one for you.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    This is the other iffy one.

I'm thinking this one may be a roo, but it's kind of cool looking too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by