Roo Roo covered one of the girls right in front of me.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Dec 1, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My roo (Roo Roo) covered one of the girls in the yard today about 5 feet from me. She sqauted willingly for him. I hope I am gonna start getting eggs from her soon. She has also been checking out the nest boxes in the last week or so. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    well, congrats on your chickens' fornication. Hopefully it won't be very long for your eggs. That first egg is always special!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I never allow my roo to breed his girls in front of me. It gives him the idea that he is head honcho of the yard, and that is not true. I am head honcho of the yard.

She'll be laying soon. Enjoy those eggs.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    they will probably start soon I just wormed them [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Same here, my roosters are not allowed to mate in front of me. It only took twice of him being knocked off a hen to get the picture. Now he sneaks it when my back is turned, but NEVER mates in front of me.

Letting him mate in front of you is showing him that he is top chicken, even over you.

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    You go, Big Daddy....That's my attitude.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Same here, my roosters are not allowed to mate in front of me. It only took twice of him being knocked off a hen to get the picture. Now he sneaks it when my back is turned, but NEVER mates in front of me.

Letting him mate in front of you is showing him that he is top chicken, even over you.

Don't quite see the point of not letting him breed his girls in front of you. I've never kept any of my guys from mating in front of me and haven't had a mean roo in years and years. They're just doing what comes naturally and to me it seems like when people try and keep their roos under their thumbs is when they start having trouble with them.

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The cock's breeding of the pullet has nothing to do with when you are going to start getting eggs.

Of course he tread he in front of you. They are living creatures: not humans. They do what they are supposed to do naturally.

They'll do it in front of your friends too![​IMG]

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague

Don't quite see the point of not letting him breed his girls in front of you. I've never kept any of my guys from mating in front of me and haven't had a mean roo in years and years. They're just doing what comes naturally and to me it seems like when people try and keep their roos under their thumbs is when they start having trouble with them.

Ditto here. As far as I am concerned my roos know that my job is to bring them food and water and their job is to breed and look out for predators. I let them do their thing and they let me do mine.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:True, although they tend to happen around the same time. Or the cock's breeding attempts start a little early for the pullets and they object. What does sound like eggs are approaching soon is that she willingly squatted for him. One experienced chicken keeper on here looks not for reddening combs and wattles but for the squat, to signal that eggs are coming soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by