Roo seems to be struggling to breathe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jcatblum, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Have a roo a out 8 or 9 months old. Had a friend holding onto him for a few months while we moved. Picked him up yesterday, everything seems fine. Today he has his mouth open all day. First time I noticed it is about 10. He isn't gurgling, but does sound like he has a dry scratchy throat. He is constantly inhaling & exhauling through his mouth.
    Also he is missing the feathers on the bottom side of his neck

So far I have inspected for any forgien objects, rubbed his throat multiple times, gave him a small amount of grapeseed oil & rubbed his throat some more. He does sound better when I rub his throat. This past time he acted normal for about 5 minutes after me spending quite a while massaging his throat. Then he went back to having his mouth open.

Haven't seen him drink, tried to force him, but wasn't effective. Saw him peck food, corn & grass-- but he didn't eat anything. Just pack 1 or 2 times.

First thoughts was he is hot & stressed from the move. Then started thinking something was stuck in his throat. But it has been the whole day & it is still going on. No other symptoms (runny nose puffy eyes, etc). Comb still looks good. Any ideas? Suggestions?

2. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    He is roosting & sleeping Mouth closed & seems good, also saw him try to grab a hold of a hen. So he still feels feisty Will monitor him tomorrow

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    What was the temperature today?

Is his crop full?/empty?

Is he skinny?/fat?

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah maybe he's stressed out. I hope he recovers. He might have a little respiratory thing going on.

5. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    He was fine this morning, but is back @ it again. Thinking might just be how he deals with the heat. Over 100 here everyday. Give them fresh cold water & ice ---- his name is fat Louie -- never was a skinny bird & is still filled in very nice - crop not swollen.
    I do have tylan could inject him, but don't want to if it isn't needed. I am still checking on him every few hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by