Roo sharing with the ladies or intimidated?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksngoats, Sep 2, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    So I was feeding my chickens some grapes tonight after reading so many threads about how that seems to be the fave with our feathered friends and I notice that my banty frizzle roo won't eat any of it... The ladies loved them! But he would run up to a grape and then make a sort of "purring" noise. Occasionally if a hen didn't grab it, he would pick one up and hold it in his beak making the same "purring" noise until one of the hens would take it away. So my question is he just trying to be nice to the ladies and let them eat? Or is he getting picked on because of his size (the ladies are RIR and Barrred Rocks)?

Just trying to understand more about the behavior of these guys [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    He's finding food for his girls. That's part of his job as flock protector.

3. chickencrazymom

chickencrazymom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Parsonsfield,ME.
    Our rooster does this ALL of the time, he always feeds them before himself !

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My roo bullied my hen and hogged all the food when they were chicks. Now it's really hard to give him a treat because he always lets her eat first.

5. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh that's so sweet! Maybe I could have him teach my hubby a thing or two [​IMG]

Thanks for the info!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that's what my roo does. If the hens happen to eat all the treats before he gets to taste any, he's okay with that too.
    ETA: If it's something I know my roo really likes, I save him some in the house and bring him in to feed it to him. It's the only way he'll eat it without sharing with his girls.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by