roo side step dance

That's the wing dance. A roo uses it to romance a hen. Also, to push the hen to do what he wants her to do; go where he wants her to go.

It's not good if directed at you! It will often precede an attack. Just watch your back, and make sure if he does it towards you you run him off.

Ahhhhhh! The Wing-drop, Circle, Rooster Dance of Love!

However, if he does it to you, just step towards him and walk deliberately at him. Not fast, not chasing, just sort of push him back by your forward progress. If he half turns, but keeps his attention on you, turn towards him again, walking at him, and do this until he actually turns away and gives up. It's obvious when he gives up, compared to just stepping sideways away from your forward motion.

Don't chase him, and don't keep up the walking AT him when he gives up. You have just demonstrated you are dominant over him.

My rooster (Ivory) is the sweetest rooster ever, and he always does his little dance around me, and once in a while he will peck my hand if I reach nearby him (he must mistaken it for a hen
roll.png
), but he has never attacked me before. I think it's adorable when he does his little wing dance, though!
smile.png

What I think is adorable is, after learning I'm not susceptible to the Rooster Dance of Love, a couple of them have gotten clever and try to seduce me into being one of their hens by bringing me goodies and making that "Have I got something nice for YOU!" chortle. Carl has brought me pretty leaves, nice round pebbles, once an earwig!

George, the Sebright whom I've "walked back" as much as thirty feet the last time he flapped a wing at me, thought a small twig he brought would be sufficient to woo me. Nice try, George. no dice.

I always thank Carl, but I never accept the present. And yet it's so adorable when he does it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom