Roo sitting on chicks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K&H Chicken Farm, Feb 24, 2008.

1. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I have never seen or heard of this before. I got a little Frizzy roo and young pullet Saturday morning at the Swap. The other chickens did not like them and I had to put them in with the 4 feathered chicks we have. I worried about doing that but after watching them I felt it would work.
    Today I watched the roo let the little ones eat before he did and the hen just watches them and clucks. Tonight I go out to lock the little ones into there dog crate over night and found the 2 frizzies sitting side by side with 2 chicks under the roo and 2 under the hen! I did not think roos liked chicks at all and that hens would not sit on chicks that where not hatched out by her?[​IMG]

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Pictures please! I bet that was really cute!

3. K&H Chicken Farm

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    I had not thought of that! Let me find the camra.....

I can not find it....I will keep looking. If it happened tonight I am sure it will again tommorow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Years ago a fighting cock was dropped off in my yard. I loved that rooster. We were given two little orange kittens. The rooster saw them and adopted them. Yep, he thought they were chicks. He guarded them and wouldn't let the bigger barn cats bother them. He was the king of the barn. The kittens got to eat before the other cats. I even saw him beat a stray tom cat that swiped one of the kittens with his paw. I tried to stop the tom, but Chicken Bob got there first. By the time he was done, the cat had no fur left on his ear. That tom never came back. One day the neighbors dog (notorious cat killers in the neighborhood) were loose. They went for the kittens. Chicken Bob fought them. Actually grabbed one by the tongue and shredded it. The dogs were shot, and Chicken Bob died the next day from his injuries. I cried for 6 hours. I had chickens as a kid, but he was the first pet chicken in my adult life. I miss him so much that i will always have chickens now. Chicken Bob was popular and his story was known all over the area. We donated a trophy to the 4H fair to be given to the best rooster that year. It was the Chicken Bob Memorial Award. I'm gonna cry thinking about him.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If they were cochins, that breed tends to make great foster parents even if the babies didn't come from them or their eggs.

6. K&H Chicken Farm

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    horsejody: I am so sorry to here about Chicken Bob. I had a Banty roo when I was a kid that when he passed away the whole family cried too. Some are truly worthy of our tears.

Yes they are cochins. I Am so happy with these I think I am going to talk my little girl into getting more for her 4-H project.

7. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    A couple years ago one of the hens at the stable had a brood of 6 chicks and a hawk swooped down and snatched the hen. One of the female geese, Peaches, who was always kind of an outcast with the geese (she stayed on the outside of the group, followed behind) adopted them. She seemed to know they were not geese and never made any attempt to take them in the pond. She raised them till they went off on their own.

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Don't ever let anyone try to tell you chickens are not smart, compassionate or loving. They are !!!

[​IMG]

This picture is not mine. It was posted on EZ BYC several years ago, and I just love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by