1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo sitting on the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ki4got, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Has anyone else had a roo sit on the eggs before?

I just openned the nest box to check, and there he was, 'Speckle' my 5 month old blue crele OEGB, sitting on 4 eggs. He just looked up at me like, "WHAT?!?!" so I closed the box and left him alone. he was back outside in a few minutes but has me wondering, is this normal?

thanks for any input on this.
    Karen

2. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    At that age I also saw my roo in the nestbox. I later read that they often "check out" nesting places for the gals, and will cluck to them to let them know it's a safe place to be, and show them by example. Now two months later I think he's too big to fit in the boxes!

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    LOL well this guy won't ever get to big, he's smaller than my bantam brahmas and cochins.

It was just surprising to see him in the box, when i expected his hen or one of the other hens that's starting to lay.

4. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Hmmm. Maybe that explains why i've seen my roo dig a little depression in some giddy hole place and the cluck. He's really made a nest and it telling the hens. He's a good guy bringing them bugs and stuff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by