Roo sitting on the nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 25bengood2me, Jan 16, 2010.

1. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    My husband just came in, puzzled by finding the roo sitting on the nest while our hen is walking the yard, happily scratching and searching for??? ( she is insatiable!)
    QUESTION: WHY WOULD A ROO SIT ON A NEST?

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll find roos that are good daddies every now and then. I had a couple that would do this from time to time, too. [​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I laughed my butt off the first time I found my roo in the nesting box. I found out in a different forum that he was trying to tell the girls that's where they are supposed to lay their eggs. I just thought that he wanted to see what all the hub bub was about.

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Roos do it to show their girls "This my darlin' is the nest I was telling you about". [​IMG]

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this darling roo that would make up his nests for his favorite three ladies. He'd fluff the shavings, put hay along the edges. They'd go in and if it wasn't perfect they'd go back out and he'd be back rearranging the nest in an instant. So cute. He also loved to sit in the nest WITH his ladies, with one wing over them, when it was cold out. How cute is THAT

6. 25bengood2me

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    [​IMG] he is sitting beside the hen! she's making loud laying clucking noises. he is giving low coo-ing clucks So, he must be helping her thru labor & delivery? LOL!

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    my roo will sit in the nest over/or with his ladies, or when they are laying his roosts on the front to give them some privacy! lol.

8. 25bengood2me

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    Thanks for sharing all your roo stories!
    I just went out to find a nice, warm egg sitting in the nest! Both birds are walking around, scratching in the muddy dirt. Temps in the 40's got rid of all the snow. WE ARE THINKING SPRING!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by