Roo?? Speckled Sussex ( I believe?)

He is a cockerel, and not a Speckled Sussex.
I've never heard of training cockerels to crow, I think they just do it when they are ready.
That’s what I’ve always known to be also, the first 6 pullets we got , 5 ended up being roosters! What are the odds lol the store was as surprised as I was. One started crowing at 9 weeks old no one taught him and within a week another decided to start trying. They found a new home quick. I was so praying this new flock we gathered there would be zero Roos as again all supposed to be pullets. Now I will need to relocate this guy and be down one more in my flock. Start at 6 down to 1- restart 6 new chicks had 2 died at 2nd day, replaced back up to 8 chicks (in stages no less of up to 2 weeks apart so multiple introduction stages I went through )1 a squirrel got and killed during introduction stage ( shocked me) the other died don’t know why at 12 weeks old found her dead in roost a week ago. Down to 6 and now ones a roo lol down to 5 I go. Not had the best of luck or time getting my flock together for sure. Hopefully this is the up hill now. I’m tired lol

That’s what I’ve always known to be also, the first 6 pullets we got , 5 ended up being roosters! What are the odds lol the store was as surprised as I was. One started crowing at 9 weeks old no one taught him and within a week another decided to start trying. They found a new home quick. I was so praying this new flock we gathered there would be zero Roos as again all supposed to be pullets. Now I will need to relocate this guy and be down one more in my flock. Start at 6 down to 1- restart 6 new chicks had 2 died at 2nd day, replaced back up to 8 chicks (in stages no less of up to 2 weeks apart so multiple introduction stages I went through )1 a squirrel got and killed during introduction stage ( shocked me) the other died don’t know why at 12 weeks old found her dead in roost a week ago. Down to 6 and now ones a roo lol down to 5 I go. Not had the best of luck or time getting my flock together for sure. Hopefully this is the up hill now. I’m tired lol
That's certainly a lot of bad luck! I hope everything starts working out for you, and goes smoothly from now on.

Definitely a cockerel. Male specific saddles are present. Looks like maybe a hatchery quality Bielefelder.

Back
Top Bottom