Roo?? Speckled Sussex ( I believe?)

Hennymama

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2022
Hi, I believe this is a speckeled Sussex, 14 weeks old, I’m thinking she may not be a she but a roo?? Hasn’t crowed once (yet) though so I’m unsure and second guessing myself. What do you say?

Attachments

• 605436AC-E058-447B-931E-1EAD6A2D717F.jpeg
    605436AC-E058-447B-931E-1EAD6A2D717F.jpeg
    910.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 6E8DE1EF-C6B3-4058-B837-94F7595EE86E.jpeg
    6E8DE1EF-C6B3-4058-B837-94F7595EE86E.jpeg
    960.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 5B16E288-90CB-4B23-A50C-9D33835D91E7.jpeg
    5B16E288-90CB-4B23-A50C-9D33835D91E7.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 8
those big voluminous tail feathers look like a rooster, but I'm not sure. can you get a better facial picture? we are seeing his back and his tell-tail signs of maybe not being able to lay an egg, but some more pictures would make this process a whole lot easier.

those big voluminous tail feathers look like a rooster, but I'm not sure. can you get a better facial picture? we are seeing his back and his tell-tail signs of maybe not being able to lay an egg, but some more pictures would make this process a whole lot easier.
I had one die that I believ was my speckled Sussex ( they look similiar when young age) but this should be my Easter I thought maybe I got them confused. But pretty sure she’s a he, just not decided to crow yet

I had one die that I believ was my speckled Sussex ( they look similiar when young age) but this should be my Easter I thought maybe I got them confused. But pretty sure she’s a he, just not decided to crow yet
is there another rooster to teach him how to crow? if not, you can always download a video of a rooster crowing. Otherwise, he probably won't be, as someone on here once said, "singing the songs of his people". Our rooster often would serenade us with a sweet "love song"... AT TWO AM IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there another rooster to teach him how to crow? if not, you can always download a video of a rooster crowing. Otherwise, he probably won't be, as someone on here once said, "singing the songs of his people". Our rooster often would serenade us with a sweet "love song"... AT TWO AM IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, no other Roos that I can tell rest look to be hens as should be. I don’t want him to crow lol, even though it does not bother me, I rather like hearing them ( not at 2 am lol) but it may my neighbors and I’m in town not out away. I’ll need to rehome him if he does.

Last edited:
No, no other Roos that I can tell rest look to be hens as should be. I don’t want him to crow lol, even though it does not bother me, I rather like hearing them ( not at 2 am lol) but it may my neighbors and I’m in town not out away. I’ll need to rehome him if he does.
ah, so that's good.

He is a cockerel, and not a Speckled Sussex.
I've never heard of training cockerels to crow, I think they just do it when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom