Roo squeaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Puddin Fluff, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

My 7 mo old cockerel is squeaking. He does this quite often and has been doing it for a while. I have now noticed other birds in the flock doing the same. I have owned chickens for 6 years and have never had them making this sound on a regular basis.

I have treated the flock with anti-biotics but many are still making this squeak sound. I have a couple of others who sound kinda flemmy and are puffed and obviously feeling under the weather, however the squeaky ones are having normal behaviors. I have no idea what the even begin to do or what it could be.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    That is some strange noise

3. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Tell me about it. I feel like I have had an alien species dropped on me!

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What antibiotic did you use?Tylan 50 for respiratory problems.He is sneezing you can see his head shake for side to side.

5. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Sounds like a sneeze!

6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Oxytetrocycline (sp) was what I had available. There is no discharge and no swelling, no smell. No gurgling. Only the squeaking.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What type of feed do you give?
    Have you added anything to the coop/run like DE?

It does sound like a sneeze. Do you notice this more after he eats? Could be getting crumbles/food in his nostrils and is clearing them.

A couple of mine seem to really stick their beaks deep in the feed when they eat and sometimes end up sneezing - I saw crumbles fly from their nostrils one day[​IMG]

Dusty, dry conditions can also cause bouts of sneezing. Watch to see if there is any "circumstances" that bring on the behavior.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is normal....Like others have stated it is caused from dust....He is a fluffy guy....Dry air can cause them to sneeze also dust baths,bedding, etc....

No need for any medications....

Cheers!

9. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    It is concerning to me because he is not the only one doing it. A number of my cochins are doing it. And I now have 3 birds that have a flemmy sound and are puffed up and not being social. Not sure it the two issues are related or coincidental.

I am accustomed to chickens sneezing but he has been doing this for the past few months, probably since he got his big boy voice and now I have some girls doing it too.

Just strange. I have heard birds squeak before but it would be a rare occasion. This is happening frequently throughout the day.

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

As asked in one other reply.....Do you use DE in your Coop?

What type of bedding?

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by