Roo STILL sleeping. Cocci or " Rooster Booster " needed? HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Ok. My Roo;s hens do NOT show any lethargic signs, just confused as to why their roo is not interacting with them.

As far as symptoms of Cocci and my roo :

I have Not seen any bloody stools and he does not appear to be acting "chilled" nor has he been sitting with his feathers " ruffled".

Of course I can not diagnose this as coccidocis, however, I do need to know How to treat for it with the medicine.

Does it mix with water, etc ??

I have a TSC here that I can go get the meds.

Someone mentioned a homemade booster for roosters, consisting of Molasses, Hot peppers, I believe.

Has anyone had experience with this?

And how do I give him this?

As a treat, etc?

Im very scared right now. He is my baby WC BLK POLISH who is 5 months old and is a FANTASTIC protector of his hens .

Please HELP

2. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I can't help with mixing the meds, but I have used cayenne pepper before and it worked great. You just mix enough with the food to make it look a little rusty. I buy it in the huge container at Sams Club where we are, it costs about $6. Have no experience with the molasses, but I would think you could mix it with the water? Sorry, wish I could be of more help. I'm new at trying the natural remedies myself, but can say this....so far, they seem to work better than the antibiotics I have gotten from TSC in the past. Good luck with your sweet roo. A good roo like that is a treasure.

3. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Quote:Thank you for your insight and suggestion !

I don't know if maybe I'm being a " Drama queen " in jumping to conclusions .

I just came back in from feeding and watering , but I do not see any type of bloody stool , he's eating and drinking, and right now he is scratching thru the sand while His Girls are sitting up on their perch watching him.

However , he sometimes just Falls asleep standing up !

He just seems listless.

Again, his girls are not exhibiting any signs of illness, they just seem lost or clueless without their " fearless leader" chasing them around , punishing them and scratching around in the yard yelling for the girls to come eat a tasty bug or worm he found.

I do want to mention that we had a cool front come thru last night, and today it's VERY windy and alot cooler.

I have NO experience with Polish and their behaviors , I just know that he is a Good Boy that I want to keep healthy!

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by