1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo stud service.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lobb40118, Jan 17, 2009.

1. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had an idea.....not often but i did this time....lol.......I have 4 now pullets and have no desire to keep a full time rooster. has anyone ever or is this a new concept.......had a stud service for roos? local BYC people lending out roos to help procreate. just curious and maybe starting a trend.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    My first thought was: WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! [​IMG] Especially since I will not be able to keep roos in my yard!!!

My second thought was: WHAT A TERRIBLE IDEA!!! [​IMG] I have to keep reminding myself that chickens (hens and roos!!!) should be quarantined for 30 days before they are put together!!! Any Roo in my yard (or garage) would be TOTALLY outed before 30 days were up!!!!! [​IMG]

Keep thinking!!

Cindy

3. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    lol....I am new and just thinking out loud. maybe if the roo service took your girls for the time? or you have a seperate section for this? it is risky but no more than getting a stud for any other animal...

4. #1California Chick

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Even if I sent you my hens (assuming that you were nearby!!!) -- you would have to quarantine them for 30 days before putting them with your Roos. Then if they mated immediately and you sent them back to me, they would only be fertile for 2 to 4 weeks!!! [​IMG] So you would feed them more than me!!! And I would miss them for the month or so that they were gone!!! [​IMG]

I think that this is why so many people INCUBATE AND HATCH their chicks!!!! NO ROOS REQUIRED!!!![​IMG]

Cindy

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  5. lobb40118

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    lol...like i said i am new...lol....I attempted but bad idea it seems.

6. #1California Chick

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    OH, AND I would have to quarantine my hens for thirty days when they came back to me before I could put them back with the rest of the flock!!

WAAAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!!!!![​IMG]

Cindy

PS How far are you from New Palestine???

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Some people do practise artificial insemination to improve their fertility rates. This might be a better way to go, but still wouldn't eliminate the biosecurity issues. It would eliminate the flock integration issues.

8. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    Happened to be reading this post, and saw New Pal mentioned. I live just outside of New Pal, and have a small (1 roo, 4 hens) flock. A friend at my church and I have an arrangement which works well for us. She has both meat birds and layers, and she is set up to incubate and brood, etc.
    I really don't have the time /inclination for that, but I can have a rooster or two. I have more eggs than we need, so I give her eggs to hatch, she incubates and broods them, then keeps them. She uses the roos for meat, the layers for egg, and gives me an occasional layer or two in return. We have been talking about what kind of chickens to add to our flocks, and will eventually try to get a combination which works well for us.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Bad idea. Its not like a mammal stud service. Avians are different than mammals and you could end up killing your entire flock by bringing in disease. Even quarantine isn't guaranteed to show disease carriers.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    WAY less hassle and way more options to just buy fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by