Roo to Hen Ratio

Atlchick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
Grayson, GA
We have 8 Hens and 1 Roo - in order to maximize the fertility rate, is this a good ratio? Or should we split the hens into two groups of 4, each with a rooster? In order words, can one rooster get the job done with all 8 hens in one day?

Thanks for your advice.

That sounds right. I think big roosters are more brutal than small ones so probably that's about right. I hope you will be able to hatch lots of eggs!

Thanks - these are cuckoo marans, and I have two extra roosters. I'm trying to decide whether to keep one of the extras and split the hens up, or let my best guy have a larger harem and re-home both extras.

Thanks for your reponses!

Last edited:
The normal ratio to assure fertile eggs is 10 or 12 hens per full sized rooster and 12 to 15 hens per bantam rooster. One rooster with 8 hens sounds good.

A rooster does not need to mate with each hen each day to keep the eggs fertile. Once mated the eggs will be fertile for a certain amount of time. Someone posted that they checked the eggs daily after removing the rooster and all eggs were fertile for about 10 days. Then the fertility started dropping off. The poster did not discuss and probably did not know exactly when each hen was mated, just when the rooster was withdrawn. I think 2 weeks is pretty normal for a hen to stay fertile after mating, but some people have reported fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks after mating. I'm sure some lose fertility before the two weeks also.

Back
Top Bottom