roo to hen ratio

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlemissjellyfish, Jun 29, 2010.

1. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    Is it possible? My Salmon Faverolle is already getting "her" comb at 3 weeks. My other 12 have barely a hint of a comb. Merely a bump. If she is a really a roo, ( I got extras from MPC) what is a good roo to hen ratio? I only wanted hens, but we've become attached.
    Thanks!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Normal 8 to 10 hens to roo but some can get by with less but some need more to avoid getting their backs torn up.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The best thing about salmon faverolles is that you can sex them by color. If she's all brown, then she's a girl. If she gets black on her back/chest, then she's a boy.

4. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    You can have a 1:5 ratio. Right now I have a 1:2 ratio! Don't worry about it! They might get bald backs but it's not THAT gross. Everyone should have roos. Ugh! Why does everyone LOVE hens and HATE roos!? [​IMG] Any wise man who has had roos before will tell you to get roos. [​IMG] I say so too!

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I don't hate roos (anyhow, they taste good!) but I really don't like the chaos that comes from having too many of them. The hens don't just get bald backs they also live in a constent state of stress--as soon as one roo tries to mount a hen three more have to get in on the action. It's not like they start tugging on the mating roo either, they all grab onto the hen and try to use their grip on her to push the other roo off. Hens have also been seriously injured and even killed during these kind of matings. I'll always keep a few roos, but never again will I let the ratio get out of control. I sent four of the boys to freezer camp last week and was amazed at how peacefull the chicken yard became--the 15% increase in egg production was nice too.

ETA: I have a 1:10 ratio right now and won't ever go more then 1:8.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  6. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:My Salmon Faverolle chick's big girl feathers are pinky brown, but she definitely has areas of black on her. Definitely a roo then?

When do roo's start acting like...well... teenage boys? I can eat fertilized eggs, right? Just as long as I collect them daily? Anything else I should know about roos?

7. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    You can definately eat fertile eggs. As long as they are not incubated they will never develop.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:My Salmon Faverolle chick's big girl feathers are pinky brown, but she definitely has areas of black on her. Definitely a roo then?

When do roo's start acting like...well... teenage boys? I can eat fertilized eggs, right? Just as long as I collect them daily? Anything else I should know about roos?

Yep, sounds like a roo to me. But yes, you can absolutely eat fertilized eggs! You'll probably never know the difference. I wouldn't handle him too much growing up; the ones who are really comfortable around people are the ones who are more likely to be mean. I have two salmon faverolle roos and they are very, very sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by