Roo to pullet ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by begbfg, Feb 13, 2011.

1. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Since I'm very new to this I need a lot of advice. My chicks are due to ship 3/20 (expect them on the 21st?). The minimum order was 15 chicks so I picked 5 BSL roos and 10 GSL pullets. Is this too many roos? Will I need to order more pullets? My thinking was that (Lord forbid) I might lose a few the first few days, and I wanted to make sure I had a decent mix. Was my thinking correct?

2. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    That is about 5 times as many roos as you will need for that number of hens... that being said... order more pullets....!!!!

3. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    TY, GAChick! I thought the same! IF my husband will let me, I plan on ordering more pullets![​IMG]

4. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    They usually throw a male chick in there as a freebie anyways. Plus, if you read the fine print, sexing is only guaranteed to be 85%-90% accurate. Don't sweat it. You can always sell your extra males at swaps, craigslist or to friends' freezers. Happy farming!![​IMG]

5. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Thank you, colby318! I'm really getting excited about all of this! And I think it's rubbing off on my hubby! If necessary, I can always keep them separated! (The roos and pullets, that is![​IMG])

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Unless they are sex links.

Yes, GAchick is right. The male to female ratio for chickens should be 1 roo to 8-10 hens. So either you should get more pullets (oops- what a shame! Getting more chickens! [​IMG] ) or get rid of 4 of the cockerels.

7. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote:Unless they are sex links.

Yes, GAchick is right. The male to female ratio for chickens should be 1 roo to 8-10 hens. So either you should get more pullets (oops- what a shame! Getting more chickens! [​IMG] ) or get rid of 4 of the cockerels.

Ahh. OK. They are sex links. Guess that means I need to see if my cousins could use some more roos! [​IMG]

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have 32 chickens, about 10-13 are Roos, so...lol.

9. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote:Do your roos get along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by