Roo tried to flog me for the first time ever

mrsmaonaigh

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
SE Georgia
The sweet rooster that I always bragged about. The one that is so good to the ladies and has never been aggressive. Yep, that same rooster who is roughly 18 months old decided to take a swipe at me today. Luckily, I saw him hopping behind me so I knew something was up and was able to dodge so he didn't get me. I chased him around with a stick for a while. I don't think I want to take the chance that he won't do it again. I have three kids so he will make a fine rooster stew tonight. Only problem is, my husband is attached to him. Too bad for my husband.

My welsummer rooster flogged me once, at roughly the same age as yours. It surprised the heck out of me because he always has been a great boy. I was on my cell phone at the time, so I hung up and dealt with him. I chased, caught and held him to repay him. It totally confused me until a couple days later, I went into the run with my cell phone again and he started advancing on me. I hung up quickly and put it in my pocket and he backed down instantly. He just doesn't like cell phones. He's never come at me since.

When I kept roosters I waited until the 3rd flog to do them in. One flogged me 3 times in one day, first time included, and he was stew that night. When I see them coming, I catch them quick as I can and cuddle them for awhile. Usually a non-issue after that, and if it is, stew.

But if you have small kids who's eyes are beak height, I would cull him too.

My rooster has learned that I am Alpha and he is Beta. I stalk him at a speed walk for several minutes at a time every now and then. He gets a daily 3 second refresher.

He will sometimes start gearing up for an attack when I do something that really upsets a hen or a chick. A sharp retort is usually sufficient in those cases.

He is an otherwise excellent rooster who feeds and protects the ladies, so he gets to stay.

Quote:
My roo, Meisja or Mesha, (Dutch for "little girl". [My son named him when we thought he was a pullet]) just started pecking and biting yesterday and he mounted my BR right in front of me today. I knocked the crap out of him for doing that. I'll have to try some of your methods if his behavior continues.

I keep reading that it is bad to let a roo mount a hen in front of you, but being new to chickens and terrified my beloved Delaware is a roo I wonder why is it a bad idea? Here is a pic of her because I am so sad. She is about 12 weeks old
IMG_0864.jpg

I wish someone would've trained/disciplined my roo when he was young. I got him when he was grown along with a sweet roo (I didn't know I only needed 1 roo & they grew up together). That rooster is MEAN! & he has some LONG spurs! I have to tote a child size rake around with me all the time when I'm out there! Um, yeah he is the Alpha
sad.png
Sometimes even when I get out of the fence & am walking the length of it headed back to the house, he follow me & thinks he can get me through the fence, therefore flogging the fence.

I can't stand to part with him cause he is good to the hens (other than mating them too much) & is a great protector. I have to whack him with the rake frequently.

The reason you don't let a roo mount a hen in front of you is because it that means the roo is the alpha and that you have lost the dominant position in the flock. This is problem because it will lead to human aggression.

Roos will mount hens in front of you because it is a flaunting of their territory. If you were another roo, it would be equal to doing "it" with your girlfriend in front of you. He is seeing what he can get away with. If he never tries to mount the ladies in front of you he is either very respectful of your power and defers his ladies to you, or he is gay
tongue.png
and I kinda doubt the latter . Allowing him to get away with it makes him feel more powerful than you and usually encourages them to feel they have a chance to scare you off, which encourages them to try:old After all, the only reason in their feathered mind to be top roo is to have access to all those hens and if he can prove he's not afraid of you by getting it on with the ladies in your presence, well, he may decide to try to chase you out of "his" territory.

you know, the give an inch, they'll take a mile?

Let him mount a hen and he may soon stake out the whole yard.

Back
Top Bottom