Roo Troubles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JustMarie, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    I have a 16 week old RIR cockrel. His very sweet with people, you can pick him up and hold him all day. I also have 4 pullets, 2 fullblood RIR and 2 white red cross RIR girls. The 2 white-red girls are mostly white but have some red. The problem is, my cockrel loves the two red girls but he HATES my white girls. He wont even let em stay all 4 girls together, he keeps the whites ran off. If they even come close, he runs up to em, neck feathers out all pist off. Is this normal? or signs of a bad roo?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Were they all raised together? Reason I am asking is I have 6 RIR's (1 is a roo) and 6 Buff O's. They are 10 weeks old and I had kinda wondered if he would have a preference for RIR girls or 'share the love' with all of them? Sorry I can't answer your question...haven't gotten that far in my chicken raising hobby yet.

3. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Yes, they were raised together. I didn't think it would be problem because they were. He doesn't want to share anything with the 2 white girls. When i put him up earlier they ran to the water bowel and drank like they havent had water all day. I guess his not even sharing water with em [​IMG]

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Are you sure they are girls?

5. JustMarie

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Yes, i'm 100% sure they are girls. I'm guessing i just have an odd roo? [​IMG]

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    You need to ad an extra water and feeding station for these girls. Until they work this issue out - - - - you don't want the white to get sick / dehydrated. I'd also add a few places for them to hide whenever he is being nasty.

I haven't experienced this with a roo before, but my lowest pecking order chicken gets picked on my the other hens like this. She learns to be quick around them and eats and drinks at other feeding station. I am ALPHA in my coop, so when I enter she runs up to me and in and out of my feet. She knows I won't let the others mess with her when I am there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by