Roo-turken, Hen-EE? Resulting Pullet=green eggs? Need genetics help!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Jul 20, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two pullets reaching POL, 16 weeks old.

I know one is a turken over brahma and though she's large, I don't expect her to start laying for awhile yet.
    The other pullet is turken over ??? The mama could very well be one of my two EEs.

I only have the two EEs, yet I got three green eggs today; one smaller than the others. The turken/?? has been checking out the nestboxes.

Is it possible that this enigma laid the green egg or did I just miss one yesterday?

2. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, let me ask this another way. I thought I read some time ago that it's the male that carries the green egg gene? So, if the sire was a turken, the pullet shouldn't lay green eggs? [​IMG]

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Wrong... the Blue gene or O found in EE, Araucanas, Ameraucanas and native south and central america breeds is a Autosomal gene, meaning both sexes have them,

let me explain how chicken sex gene works ok...

Males are ZZ and Females(Hens) are ZW...

the Blue egg Gene(expressed as Capital O and o+ for the recessive NONE blue egg gene) is Linked to the Pea Comb gene P, so if you are trying to breed Blue egg breeds you can identify from hatch which chicks should have the O(for blue egg gene) gene in them...

I was at one point trying to create Blue egg leghorn layers by crosing a ameraucana roo over a white leghorn hen, all boys were heterozygous for the blue egg gene and also had Pea combs, now once you start doing the back cross to Leghorns(to gain laying traits and white egg shell color to produce blue eggs) you will start seen boys and girls with single combs, stay away from them(cull them, give them away) as they have about 90% of NOT carrying the Blue egg gene, keep using a Pea comb boy untill you have type and egg laying trait back to leghorn standard...

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thank you for your response and explanation.

I'm not interested in breeding for the trait, per se. It's just that I have a pullet reaching the POL, single combed, turken (single-combed) over of my hens (may be one of my EEs). I also have two adult EEs (both pea-combed) that lay green eggs.

Today I got 3 green eggs. Trying to figure out if this young pullet gave me the third green egg or if I missed an egg yesterday.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Should, but not always.

I have many pea comb, muff/bearded hens who only carry oo genes and so lay light brown eggs. They are orpington/ee crosses. I also have 3 of these crosses who lay a blueish/green egg.

Each bird has two copies of the egg color gene and they can be OO - all blue, Oo - blue/no blue or oo - no blue. Each parent passes one of their colored genes to the chicks, so a color gene from rooster and color gene from hen.

If you cross an Oo bird with an oo bird - one in four birds will have a chance of laying blue/green eggs Oo........ the other three chicks will be oo........ yet all will have a pea comb to some degree.

NOW if you have a bird who is a pure blue layer with OO genes - then every chick, even when crossed with an oo bird - will lay some type of bluish/green egg as each will be Oo.

So Gritty - your turken is oo for egg color (oo is a white based egg and then most are "spray" painted brown to whatever degree your bird's breed calls for, this is done "in bird" as the egg is traveling down the line to be layed). Your EE, laying the blueish/green egg is an Oo - the big O making the egg shell blue, the small o - spray painting the brown onto the egg to make it green colored. You have a one in four chance that the TurEEs (or is it TurkEEs? [​IMG] ) will lay a greenish egg.

I always feel a bit of extra luck when one of my 1 in 4'ers layes a blueish/green egg.

6. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Great info Thanks Guys

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I agree great info, here.
    I'm currently trying to hatch out some EE crosses.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Not if you cross them with a Single Comb bird..[​IMG] you have about 3% of the O gene to cross over...

what's the lesson here? if you want 98% chances to have a blue/green egger just cross an EE to a single comb hen(Marans) and if you get hens that are pea combed P/p+ you can bet 5 bucks 98% of them will lay green eggs...

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    P(pea comb) is tightly linked to O(Blue). P and O are 5cM apart. What's cM? cM stands for centiMorgan

Gene linkage" occurs between genes that are less than 50 cM(or map units) apart on the chromosome. The fewer cM between linked genes, the closer the linkage and the lesser the chance of recombination occuring.

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Not if you cross them with a Single Comb bird..[​IMG] you have about 3% of the O gene to cross over...

I am not sure what you mean here - how can only 3% of the O gene cross over from an OO parent?

I have crossed an APA Ameraucana OO rooster over APA stock single comb Orpingtons who are oo. All laying pullets lay a blue/green egg.........not really a blue egg and not green either - some subtle hue inbetween. Thus creating my own strain of EEs.

Quote:An EE is generally Oo. When an Oo is crossed to an oo (marans for example), the chicks have a 25% chance of laying a blue/green egg - even if the whole clutch is pea combed.

I HAVE also crossed a breeder Orpington rooster - single comb - oo over pea comb hatchery EEs - Oo - and less than 30% of them lay a blue/green egg (an EE egg). More than 70% lay a brownish type Orpington color egg. All chicks/pullets have pea combs.

I am not trying to sound argumentative - I am just giving you my real life experience, with birds who are running around in my yard and whose eggs I eat. Plus I want to understand what you are saying.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by