roo vs hen sounds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hunterblu123, Oct 11, 2010.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    So I some chicken that I have no clue what they are now. I've posted pics here and most of them are roo. Well today the one (I have to post "its" pic later) everyone including me said was a roo is now cackling they are 14 -15 weeks. Do roo's make cackling sounds? I do have a few roo's just starting to crow. No eggs yet but I'm sure its anytime. This chicken in question is a mix.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My roos make an egg laying cackle every time one of their hens lays an eggs. My roos make way more variety of sounds than the hens do.

Lanae

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Roos make every sound hens make, plus most of them crow. A few hens crow, too.

4. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    My roos like to growl at passerbys.

5. AMPELLAR

AMPELLAR New Egg

Jun 28, 2014
    Hutto, Texas
    I am new to this -- I have five 6-week old chicks. How early can you identify rooster vs. hen sounds? Also, at what age do the chicks stop "peeping" and only make grown up chicken sounds?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

At 6 weeks, you should be able to tell gender by comb size, and in some cases the color of the bird. Sounds aren't very reliable as they're all still babies, unless of course you start hearing crowing!

My chicks are usually around 4 months when they stop peeping and start making grown chicken sounds....by then you should be very sure who is what gender by appearance.

7. AMPELLAR

AMPELLAR New Egg

Jun 28, 2014
    Hutto, Texas
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure mine are all hens, but I was just curious if there were other sounds that were different (other than crowing). It's fun to listen as they start making different sounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by