Roo vs Pullet Relationships - 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nikkimarie, May 19, 2011.

1. nikkimarie

nikkimarie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

Okay....this is my first set of chicks and though it hasn't been confirmed yet, it seems I could have a rooster on my hands (based on another forum posting I made). Now, What I read about roosters is that they are typically a bit more aggressive and that you have to separate them from the hens. I also read that the rooster tends to be the guardian of the area and when approached will tend to stand alert.

My babies are going to be 6 weeks old and they are constantly cuddled up with one another (and I don't think it's the cage temp as it's heated and cozy in there). If one is moved from the other, they chirp like mad. I've also noticed the rooster is the one who is scared easily and always running away from things. For example...they were both at the top of the coop when I whistled...he just about knocked her over as he ran away. The hen, on the other hand, was brave and seems to be the ruler of the cage. She then followed him as if to check to make sure he was okay.

Another example, if he has food, she takes it. If he is in a spot she wants, she lets him know.

Is this typical at this age?

Your input is appreciated!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have noticed at this age my pullets seem to dominate their cockeral. All the boys I've raised up from babies have all started out acting like....well, babies. But eventually the hormones kick in and they grow into their own. Then they start telling everyone what to do. You may have to seperate your boy if you don't have enough hens to satisfy him when he goes through his naughty stage, or you may have the most loving and gentle roo ever. It all depends on the individual bird. The only time I seperate the girls from the boys is when I process extra boys. Good luck!

3. nikkimarie

nikkimarie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Thank you for the response....I am still secretly hoping he is a she like I was told at purchase. What will happen is that I will have to get rid of him because we can't have roosters and I am not sure how I am going to separate from him. Though, the people I bought him for said I might have no problem sending him on his way when he gets to that naughty stage. Sigh... Thanks again!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by