ROO W EYE ISSUE HELP PLEASE.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazypoultrychx, Oct 11, 2013.

1. crazypoultrychx

crazypoultrychx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    ok....so I have an almost 6 mo old rood and I noticed he has been "sleepy" lately......today as he ran off I noticed his eye was shut....after I caught him I thne noticed his eye was glued shut and crusty along with the nostril on the same side.....so I flushed it and cleaned his nose hole....after looking more closely I also noticed that he has yellow puss pockets on his comb.....what is GOING ON!??!?!??:!?!? does anyone have any ideas......his prettiest bro roo died while I was on vaca....and had a friend stay here....and he sd that the roo was slow....and sleepy and not willing to go into the cage.....after a lil more lookin I noticed that several of the roos have yellow crusty "pimples" on their combs but they are not acting like this roo......PLEASE HELP!!! I can post pics if someone can tell me how.....[​IMG]

2. crazypoultrychx

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    here is the eye after I cleaned it......he will now open it.....

[​IMG]
    see the yellow puss "pimples" on his comb.....?

[​IMG]

other side is bright eye.....but still some puss pimples......PLEASE HELP.....he is my special crook toed roo.......and I noticed one of his brothers have the pimples too.....
    [​IMG]

I cleaned the puss away and put neosporin all over his comb......didnt know what else to do.......PLEASE please help me.....

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If there isnt any sneezing, head shaking, no respiratory noises such as wheezing, rattling etc...no foul odor around his head....that would rule out a respiratory disease.
    Have you actually popped the pustules and did liquid flow from them? If so, I recommend that you purchase Avian Super Pack. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7 days. It must be their sole source of water to drink. I suspect possible lack of vitamin A in their diet.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/camid/LIV/cp/AB-P1/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many of his symptoms fit for vitamin A deficiency, but the pustules on the comb and on the right corner of the mouth look a bit like fowl pox lesions, too, especially a couple that have scabs. Could it be a combination of both things, or fowl pox with wet fowl pox in the eye? Be sure and look inside the beak for any material not normally there--both vitamin A deficiency and wet fowl pox may cause these lesions or plaques. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Eggcessive. I've never known a rooster to die from dry pox. OP also mentioned other roos have yellow crusty pimples...a sure sign of fowl pox scabs which are very infective. I guess I better start clicking pics to enlarge them up from now on lol. It wouldnt hurt to give them the Avian Super Pack to help build their strength and immune system while they have pox.
    Crazypoultrychx. Open the mouth of your sick roo and look for cheesy yellow growths, also look for white in color postules. Hopefully it'll all be normal looking. Let us know what you see.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should weigh your rooster and tube feed him if he's losing weight.

-Kathy

7. crazypoultrychx

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    I got some peneclillin at the feeed stor the other day.....should I give them that.....will that help....?.......and how in the world can they have a vitimin A deff when they are out in the sun all the time?>?!?!?!?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't give antibiotics for pox--it is a virus. The only reason to give AB's is if he develops a secondary bacterial infection--if his eye gets worse or he develops a skin infection. He probably doesn't have a vitamin A deficiency. It is vitamin D that we get from the sun. Since he is ill, I would give the vitamins anyway just for the boost he may need. Here is another link to click on about fowl pox: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/fowl-pox/index.aspx

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. crazypoultrychx

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    I was thinking, I do have two seperate flocks. These are my new roos and pullets that I haven't yet joined with my adult birds. These young ones are the only ones showing these signs. Several of my birds in the younger flock have these signs, but none of my older birds. Does this fit with the conclusion of the fowl pox?

10. crazypoultrychx

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    ok....so I reconfined them to their pen and now I noticed that 2 of the roos have green stuff coming out or around their nostrils.....NOW WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by