1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo Walking Funny and Laying Down...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbpatwood, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jbpatwood

jbpatwood Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    I just put my 14 week old Orpington Rooster outside for the first time today. He is walking like his feet hurt, and is laying down often. I'm nervous there is something wrong with him. The other chicks seem to be fine. He's a rather docile bird, do you think that he just needs to get used to the feel of the grass/ground beneath his feet or is something seriously wrong with him? He is having no trouble eating or drinking. Any advice would be so helpful. Thanks!
    Jana

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Is he in the sunshine for the first time? He could just be sunbathing .. hard to say .. I suspect he'll be acting 'normal' before long!

[​IMG]

3. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks. I hope I am just over-reacting. This is my first go-round with chickens, and I love them so much more than I ever imagined I would. He is in the shade right now. He has been in a brooder for quite some time, and he is rather tall. I hope I haven't done damage to his legs, although he does have plenty of room in there to stand up. Maybe he's just being shy, and taking it all in.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Is he kind of almost doing a goose step? Check his knees at the feathers and see if there are any scabs. Lift the feathers there and look under as well.

5. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    It's almost as if he is walking on his "heels". I just checked him for scabs at the knees, and didn't see any, but noticed that he has some skin (on both feet) that looks as though it is falling off him where the toes meet the foot. I don't see any open wounds, but it is sensitive for me to touch. He pulls his feet away. Should I separate him from the others? I hope this isn't something serious.

6. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    It's Bumblefoot! We bought him a couple of weeks ago, and he was raised in pen with a wire/cage floor. He's rather large, so I assume that this was what caused it. I think I have caught it in time to take care of it via antibiotics. I'm hoping not to have to do any "cutting" thanks so much for your help.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh good. You can always pick up some Scarlet Oil to spray his feet and legs (good for mites and for infection). You'll need to ask or get ahold of a spray top since it doesn't come with one.

8. jbpatwood

May 1, 2011
    Maine
    Thank you for the scarlet oil hint. I've done a little research, and would rather not use antibiotics. I have also read that vetericyn works very well, and is non-toxic. If I can't find the scarlet oil, It's good to know there are other options. Thanks so much for you help. It's greatly appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by