Roo walking weird

ChickenLittle 3

Chirping
Feb 26, 2017
Tennessee
I have a flock I recently bought and the chickens in question are about 2 yr old cream legbars I bought them @ night when they were cooped up so I didnt see the walking but when I got them home and released them I noticed that both roos and 1 or 2 hens walked weird I wanna say high stepping but it's not even that really they straight leg walk I dont know how to explain it I guess like how a walking horse walks maybe I took a video but I dont know that I will be able to figure out how to post if I can it was a miracle to find out how to post this thread but to the point is this something with the breed something from breeding weird behavior or some illness? O btw I looked at his feet they appear normal

Look at their legs and feet. If the scales aren't flush with the shank but are lifting up, your chickens may be suffering from scaly leg mites. The condition is quite painful. The cure is slathering on castor oil or soaking in a permethrin or spinosad solution.

You should attach a music track to that video. The roo has rhythm!

Kidding aside, he is doing what my rooster does when he's suffering an attack of leg mites. The leg gyrations will calm right down after he's treated.

Castor oil is the most easily obtained, cheapest, easiest and most effective method of curing leg mites. The method I now use, however, is a soak in Elector PSP. It's spinosad, and one ten minute soak, left wet and allowed to air dry gets rid of the leg mites on contact and no need of any followup treatment. If your budget permits, it's wonderful stuff to keep on hand for treating lice, mites, and annoying insects such as flies and darkling beetles. It's organic and non-toxic, safe for chickens and humans.

Ya we really got a crack out of watching them do that especially when he runs its hilarious! Sadly its causing him discomfort. I will check on the elector PSP but if not obtainable I will use castor oil. Where would I be able to get the elector in store? I'm in middle tn of that makes a difference.

You will probably need to order it from Amazon. That's where I got it. But prepare yourself for a hideous price tag. https://www.amazon.com/Elanco-Elect...F8&qid=1519435262&sr=1-1&keywords=Elector+PSP

It may seem a lot of money for just eight ounces, but it will last you for years. One quarter teaspoon makes one quart of spray or a nice tub of soaking solution. The best thing is you can use the same soak water for all the chickens. It starts sounding more economical when you see how concentrated the stuff is.

O geeze lol I believe for now I will use the castor until I save up a bit for that price tag thanks alot for all the help though now I can get them treated and happy and healthy

That's a great vid, glad you figured it out.
Have had lots of scaly leg mites here and never seen that gait.
Let us know if the castor oil 'cures' it.

Back
Top Bottom