Roo went after my 5 year old.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hawtchick, May 11, 2009.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Happened today......
    My husband wants to post him on craigslist, if he's not gone in day or 2 he's getting it. Stewpot or mother nature's way.
    I have never had to cull, but I draw the line at my daughter.
    He goes after DH and I multiple times a day.....used to adore my daughter, but he just burned that bridge.

What are the chances anyone will want a rooster from craigslist???

My daughter is fine by the way.....a little sad about the rooster having to go, but she knew those were the terms.[​IMG]

Thanks!!!

2. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

I just placed a rooster via craigslist, but he's only about a month old and really, really not aggressive. I guess it'll depend a lot, but as someone (very wise) here said: 90% of roosters have a job to do on the table instead of in the coop, and putting up with aggressive behaviour's not doing anyone any favors. And this way you can find yourself a *good*, good tempered rooster and save HIM from the table.

3. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ya know the thing makes me the most mad is that 6 weeks ago he was attacked and clinging to life and I nursed him back to health......this stinks!!

4. Becky_H

Quote:It really, really does. I have a hard time because I REALLY prefer the personalities of roosters. Which makes it god darn hard to think about culling and eating them. They just seem to have more *there* than hens -- (to me!) -- which are sweet but a little boring (my opinion only).

I really wish I could give you some suggestions. I'm a parent too and know that my kids have always been my line too. Doesn't make it stink any less, for sure.

5. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Don't feel that way...He had a good life up until....

6. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Becky....
    Would you actually eat one of your own roos?
    I have a terrible time thinking of that....ugh!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  7. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    We got an australorp roo out of 8 sexed chicks and had to sadly put him on craigs list. the neighborhood probably wouldn't tolerate him, though we'd have loved to keep him around. it was a drag because he was nice and was my BF's favorite "hen". anyway the rooster got adopted by a no-kill ranch in about 15 minutes. now he's happily free-ranging with a flock of goats and turkeys out in the country, and our henhouse is a sapphic paradise.

8. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    I recently had to cull my rooster (much to my daughters dismay)[​IMG]
    he was almost a year old and suddenly started attacking my son and would fly up into my face whenever I was near the hens. I finally drew the line when my daughter was getting eggs and he attacked her.
    I enjoy having a rooster and really miss the crowing so we picked out a rooster sexlink and hopefully he will behave himself. Every rooster we have had has gotten lots of human interaction so it's not from lack of attention.

9. Becky_H

Quote:I think I MIGHT be able to eat one of them, but I absolutely could not kill them or butcher them. My husband would have to do it, and I'd probably have a good hard crying jag about it to boot. I love my kids, but I also love my pets and my roosters ARE pets to me more than the hens, which are livestock. I guess because I get roos expecting them to be around for a while, and doing a job similar to mine in being protectors.

10. Becky_H

Quote:...did you find him on craigslist?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by