Roo - what age sexual maturity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by titus2mommy, Nov 2, 2009.

1. titus2mommy

titus2mommy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    I have a BR roo who's 21 wk old. Shouldn't he be showing SOME signs of interest in the hens by now? They're all a few months older and come from 2 separate flocks,but they all get along fine now. They're ranged during the day.

Thanks,
    Jill

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    He should be getting close to showing off for them.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    By 20 weeks, all but the Ameraucanas & EEs were doing the deed and crowing like crazy.

4. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have a Salmon Faverolles roo that is 22 weeks old. He just started crowing last week. I have also noticed that he is beginning to puff up and show off for the girls that he hangs out with (2 other SFs that are the same age) in the last few days as well as standing his ground with the older hens (34 weeks) that used to pick on him. I haven't seen/heard him "doing the deed" yet but the testosterone is definitely beginning to kick in. I've seen him reach and grab one of his little pullet's neck feathers. Unfortunately for him, none of the ladies are very impressed with him right now. Whenever he makes any amorous advances, the little pullets just run away with offended squawks and the big hens generally reach over and give him a sharp peck on the head for his trouble, whereupon he exits, stage left, with as much dignity as he can muster! He "just don't get no respect" right now. [​IMG]

5. titus2mommy

titus2mommy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    Well, he's been crowing for weeks and weeks but that's all so far. Hmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by