Roo with a runny nose, generic children's med?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DillardHome, Dec 10, 2010.

1. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    My 9 month old EE roo has developed a runny nose and his eyes are a little squinty today. He has been squatting down alot today, so I know he is not feeling good. I have seen alot of topics on BYC regarding these symptoms and read using Tylan 50 or Tetracycline. I also saw where a BYCer suggested a generic children's cold & flu medication grape flavored, I believe the dosage was 1/2 -1 CC.

My question is if I am unable to acquire the Tylan 50 or Tetracycline today can I start using the children's medication? If so, how much exactly and how often? And does it have to be grape flavored, I have cherry flavored?

Of course I am going to isolate him. It has been quite cold here the last few days too.

Any tips and input are always appreciated! [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is your guy doing? Sounds like a possible respiratory virus

I know nothing about childrens meds.............so cannot help there. But hopefully someone with more answers will see this. [​IMG]

3. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Well, over the counter cold "medication" won't treat anything, infection wise, it MAY just mask the symptoms.... but I'd be afraid to use it. Chicken respiratory systems don't exactly work like ours. It certainly wouldn't be a substitute for Tylan, which would actually be treating any bacterial infection instead of temporarily "drying him up".

Maybe someone that's actually used it will chime in, so here's a bump for ya! I just don't think it'd be something I'd try. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cannot give tylenol or ibuprofen to avians. Not sure what else is in childrens meds, maybe antihistamine? Wouldn't do it. And it may be a virus, which will not respond to antibiotics or other meds anyway. If the runny nose is snotty and not clear, you may have a big problem. If clear, probably isn't much to worry about. The usual protocol is separate, keep warm, provide warm food with extra protein, add a tablespoon of organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to his water (it has lots of vitamins and is beneficial in other ways).

My only policy for anything respiratory is to cull, never treat, but I am blasted every time I suggest it so you didn't hear it from me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by