Roo with airy/gassy crop and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoadRunner18, Apr 21, 2019.

1. RoadRunner18

RoadRunner18 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    Hello!
    I have a sick one year old Lavender Roo, his crop seems to have more air or gas in it than food. He keeps shaking his head and doing something that resembles burping or hiccuping (he got frostbitten on his wattles over the winter, and he shook his head a lot because of that, could it still be bothering him maybe? It looks healed up to me) . He did throw up some foam when I picked him up earlier as well. He has some almost green diarrhea (I figured this might be because he ate some grass in his run)
    We had another lavender roo in a small coop with him up until today when the other room died. We're not sure what happened to him, be didn't have anything in his crop when I checked just after he passed.
    Does anyone happen to have any ideas what the soft/airy crop could be? We have 5 other chickens in another coop outside and they all have soft crops, but they don't seem to be as full of air.
    Any information would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Crop problems sometimes are indicative of other internal problems. Chickens can eat all sorts of things that can cause problems with digestion. Internal tumors can block digestion too as examples.

It can be near impossible to tell until they pass and you get them looked at or you do a necropsy yourself to find out what was going on.

3. RoadRunner18

RoadRunner18 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    Thank you for responding.
    He has eaten some food I gave him and his crop seems normal now. However his comb was getting a little purple on the end when he was outside, it is cold where it is purple. I don't know why this is as it's in the low to mid 60's here, but it is windy.
    We are going to keep him in the garage for tonight to keep an eye on him.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Purple comb on a rooster can indicate heart or breathing problems. My oldest rooster will have his comb turn purple if handled too long, so it isn't always a fatal thing. Make sure to provide grit, and for a while maybe just feed a dry ration.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of him and the poop?
    What do you feed?
    Where are you located (state/country)?
    You mention that another rooster died suddenly today?
    Any chance these roosters ate anything toxic, moldy or rotten?
    Do you put anything like a no crow collar on your roosters?

If you can clarify a little more - you have 5 other chickens too - they don't seem to be as air filled - are they having crop problems also?

It's good that you put him in the garage where you can monitor him. Check his crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink. The crop should be empty.
    The comb turning purple is concerning, that would generally indicate lack of oxygen - as mentioned it could be something to do with his heart.

If you happen to lose him, it would be a good idea to have necropsy performed by your state lab to find out what happened.

6. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I am watching.

Sequel likes this.
  7. RoadRunner18

RoadRunner18 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    Here's a picture of him, and I will add one of his droppings as soon as he goes again. It's wierd because sometimes they are really watery and sometimes they aren't.

Attached Files:

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Does he have the collar on now?

Sequel and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  9. RoadRunner18

RoadRunner18 Hatching

Apr 21, 2019
    No he does not have his collar on now. We haven't put it back on.

Sequel and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  10. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Hes soo pretty! My roo has the purple thing going on also... It was concluded that he just getting too hot or cold:confused:

Sequel and RoadRunner18 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: