Roo with broke foot

Alabamagal1960

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2017
Samson, Alabama
I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte who appears to have broke his foot. Have him in the house for TLC. Been giving him Meloxicam but any advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks!!

Do you have any pictures? Is the foot swollen, bruised or are there any scabs on the bottom of his foot pad that might be bumblefoot? Is he limping or can he stand and walk? Metacam is good for inflammation and pain. You may want to have him rest his foot for a week or two in a crate placed inside the coop with the other chickens so that he doesn't have to be re-integrated if he is out too long.

I don't have a pic right now of the foot, but will get one and put on. It is bruised and swollen. He tries to stand up and work it, but just can't put his weight on it for very long at all. I think my buff orphington roo had been chasing him and when he turned the corner to go in the pen, that's when it occurred, as that is where we found him. I am keeping my buff roo penned up now. I have been giving him Meloxicam and once in awhile aspirin 81mg. That is all i have on hand to give that others have said to give him.

Back
Top Bottom