1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo with broken foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickInn29, Oct 10, 2015.

1. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    So my dark brahma roo started limping badly 4 days ago. He hops on one leg when he walks, he hasnt been eating too much (about 2 grapes and some flower petals off a plant on my deck a day.) he drinks fine. He just lays around all day. I checked his foot the best i could, and nothing appears to be wrong. Its hard to examine his foot cuz its covered with feathers! And if its broken, how would i wrap up his feathery leg? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feel of his leg joints to compare them for any swelling. Feathered legs can be a pain to examine for anything. Check the bottoms of his foot pads for bumblefoot (dark spot, redness, and swelling.) I would pen him up for 1-2 weeks with food water, and poultry vitamins to see if he gets better with rest. A dog crate would enable him to stay with the other chickens.

[​IMG]
    Bumblefoot

3. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    Ok. He definetly does not have bumblefoot. He has no dark spot. But will my best to check his leg. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by