Roo With Congestion/Rattley Breathing

Kathleen Sanderson

Songster
6 Years
Oct 29, 2017
Kentucky
I have a small flock of Icelandic chickens who run loose in the yard and are semi-feral. That means, they hang around because I feed them, but they act wild otherwise. Since they roost in a tree higher than I can reach, it’s very hard to catch them. I had just put dog food down in the kennel for my livestock guardian dogs, leaving the door open, and of course the chickens spotted it and were in there ahead of the dogs - they are allowed to clean up what the dogs leave, but the dogs need to get what they want first. So I went to chase the birds out, and noticed that the roo that was in there has very rattley breathing, like someone very congested from a chest cold. Suggestions on what that might be? I can do research but need something to look up. It was just the one bird. None of the others sounded off. And he looks fine otherwise.

So I went to chase the birds out, and noticed that the roo that was in there has very rattley breathing, like someone very congested from a chest cold. Suggestions on what that might be?
Knowing your location can be helpful - are you in the US?
It would be good if you can catch him up and look him over really well.
Note if he has any bubbles or pus in the eyes, facial swelling, cough/sneeze, if his crop is functioning (if it's empty, full, hard, soft, airy, squishy, has sour breath, fluid filled, etc.).

There are many respiratory diseases that chickens can have. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are some of the more common ones.
A lot depends on the cause as to how you would treat, if at all. Antibiotics can help treat symptoms of bacteria like diseases (Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza) but they are not a cure. Viruses like Infectious Bronchitis and ILT won't respond to antibiotic treatment, but if a secondary infection occurs, then medication can help with that.
Most all respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life even if they are not symptomatic.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I am generally not inclined to intervene too much with chickens. If they aren’t strong enough to make it, then they need to go, and make room for the ones that are stronger. But these guys were kind of expensive.

Back
Top Bottom