Roo with dialated pupil?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by portiaraylee, Nov 14, 2013.

1. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    I have a perfectly healthy and beautiful buff laced polish roo. He is about 6 months old and is a house chicken. The other day I noticed his eyes are two different colors. One is a bright copper color, the other is a dark gray. The dark gray eye has a pupil that is dilated. Is this normal? Do I have any cause for future concern with blindness?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm very very sorry to say a eye that turns greyish and irregular pupils Can be a sign of OCCULAR MAREKS DISEASE . Please do some research on occular mareks and its symptoms and see if you agree that her symptoms sound the same. I do hope I'm wrong but that I is a sign of the disease. Mareks is a
    HIGHLY contagious air borne disease that can travel
    miles away in the wind. It can be spread through the
    air. was she ever vaccinated for Mareks? Please do
    some research on mareks and see what you think.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. portiaraylee

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    If it is Marek's (I bought 21 Polish in May and of them, all died but 7 to mysterious illness) can he be a survivor of it and be fine now? And none of them were vaccinated. I am doing research, and I cannot find survival rate, ect.

4. portiaraylee

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    I will say the disease that killed the majority of the flock was respitory based. They seemed to have suffocated like a bad cold. When I began treating them with duramycin, vetrx and electrolytes, as well as thoroughly cleaned the house and bedding, the dying stopped. It only affected my young polish. All of my adult birds were fine. They did not share waterers and were kept separate but if it was airborne, they would have all fallen ill as I have one large coop, separated by wired areas.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like that bird could have Marek's. Marek's can cause dilated pupils, grey eyes, and pupils unresponsive to light. Another disease that can do that is Lymphoid Leukosis. Marek's is everywhere, so if the bird isn't vaccinated (or even if it was-- the vaccine isn't 100% effective) its certainly possible that its Marek's.

6. portiaraylee

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    Other than the pupil, which upon further investigation I believe he is blind in that eye.....he is very healthy. Is it possible he will survive? No other chickens have this, only him. I went out and checked my entire flock. All are healthy and eyes are fine.....we even have a second house chicken as a buddy for him, and she is fine as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by