Roo with foot abcescess

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie4722, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chickie4722

chickie4722 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice in regards to my Wyandotte Rooster, he has what looks like calluses and an abscess on his foot, in between his middle and outside toe from top to bottom. The local vets want $790 to lance and drain this abscess which seems crazy to me. So right now I have him on Baytril(twice a day) and Metacam OS(once a day). I am injecting this into earth worms and feeding him for 2 days now and it seems to be working, the swelling, heat and redness have gone down, but will this be enough? I recently changed his roost to 1 1/4" dowel from 1x3" boards, which seemed really uncomfortable for him. I'm worried that antibiotics alone won't work and I really love my rooster. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

L

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    This is called Bumblefoot!

Bumblefoot is a localized infection in the foot causing bulbous swelling of the footpad and surrounding tissue. It can affect one or both feet, and can affect one or many members of the flock. Bumblefoot is an infection that is caused by an injury to the ball of the foot. As the infection progresses, the lesion enlarges and the ball of the foot and tissue between the toes becomes enlarged and swollen. There is usually a round scab on the base of the foot that, when removed, will allow pus to be drained from the foot. If caught early, the foot can be treated with wraps and antibiotics may not be necessary.

Instead of typing out all that I would do...Here is a link that shows you how to remove the infection (pictures included) !!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2797594

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. chickie4722

chickie4722 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    That's exactly whats wrong with my rooster. Thanks so much for you response and information.

Cheers,
    L

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Your Very Welcome [​IMG]

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i feel your pain, one of my favorite hens has it and i am worried i will loose her [​IMG] did you get the baytril at your vets or what? also i would give him a probiotic such as yogurt because as i learned with one of my parrots it is hard on their system. good luck to you and your boy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by