Roo With Infected Toes - please help! (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlippingTheBird, Feb 6, 2016.

1. FlippingTheBird

FlippingTheBird New Egg

Dec 21, 2015
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

I noticed one of my roos lifting his leg up high and out as if he was marching so I checked him out. He has two gross looking toes! One is worse than the other, it almost looks like his toes are growing over his claws, or they got jammed up in there somehow? What causes this and what should I do about it? It doesn't look like there's any lacerations or cuts, and I checked him over for any scaly mite symptoms or bumblefoot and he checked out negative on both. It's obviously bothering him and I don't want it to get any worse. Any help would be appreciated!

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    It actually appears to me that his toenail got broken off in an accident (perhaps a hard landing from a roost, or a fight with another roo, etc.), and an infection resulted. I would treat the toe with Veterycin wound and infection care (I think you can buy this at your local Tractor Supply) and bandage it until the wound heals. Make sure to change the bandage often and re-treat with Veterycin each time. Hope he gets better! :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I think you are right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by