Roo with the girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    This spring is when I want to introduce my roos to the girls. When is the best time to do this? I would now. But I am scared that one of the girls will go broody and the babies will freeze. So does anyone know when this spring would be best?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can not controll when our hens go broody. IME a roo does not help or hinder the boodyness.
    You can break a broody by puttinf her in a wire cage with no beeding just food and water.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree.
    You can put the roo in with the girls anytime. Just collect the eggs on a daily basis and refrigerate them or eat them. If one of your girls go broody in the spring/summer ok.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can't control broodiness but if you want the eggs fertilized say before Easter, then you'd want to get the roo with the girls by the end of March. Then if they go broody after that, you should be fine.

5. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Thank you all for the advice. I am marking it on my calender to put the roo in with the girls by the end of March. Thanks so much![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by