Roo without a voice???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyeggs, Nov 2, 2011.

1. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    Fred is a 4 month old who I have never heard a noise from. I am sure he is a rooster. He is almost twice the size of the two pullets he is in with and shows all signs of being a rooster except for the crowing. He got stuck and was pecked almost to death by an older group of chickens when he was a chick. His head took all the damage. He was missing a big section of his scalp (the first picture kind o shows this) the following pics were taken today. He has grown back almost all of his feathers on his head. Has anyone else have a roo that can't crow?. My DH will not mind having Fred around if indeed he never crows. I feel for him.. He makes no noise what so ever [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    He'll crow. He's a little young anywhoos.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Give him time, 4 months is still young. Gee! he is big! and handsome!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    He'll crow. I have a 6 month old Cochin who still peeps like a chick even though he's huge!

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:I bet that's adorable [​IMG]

I agree with the others, he still needs some time. Crowing can be delayed in non-dominant roosters, and he might have been knocked down several hundred pegs by the attack when he was young.

Once that testosterone gets going though, he pretty much doesn't have a choice about it [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    He will find his voice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by