Roo won't let hens eat in run but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster-red, Aug 4, 2007.

1. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a 2 yr old roo that won't let the hens eat in the run, he chases them away from the feed.

Funny thing is when they free range he calls them when he finds goodies, lets them eat everything he finds and is a great provider.

He only started doing this 3 weeks ago. We had no changes in the flock when this started, no new chickens so I don't understand.

My family is ready to rehome him over it and it does tick me off, but if I can change this behavior we would keep him.

Any ideas as to why he's doing this or how we can make him stop? (outside of putting him in the stew pot, thats not an option)

2. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It's got me stumped, looks like everyone else must be too.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's really odd. You didn't change feed brands or open a new bag of feed, did you? There's no way there's a problem with that feed, is there?

The only other thing I could suggest, would be to add more feeders. He can't be everywhere at once.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with woodlandwoman....add a few more feeding stations. Make sure they are pretty far from each other. This should help.

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He will chase them off even if you scatter feed all over the floor of the 20 x 30 run.

I did solve the problem.

I rehomed him to an elderly gentleman who just moved out of (in his words) an assisted dying home and moved in with his son.

He will be the only chicken, but he will have someone spending time with him 12 hours a day.
    I think this is a win-win situation.
    My flock is so much calmer now.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats on finding your roo a great home!!! Im sure he will live to be an old man ... and feel lots of love!

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Still would like to know why he acted that way.
    Oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by