1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo won't sleep on the roost with his hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by opihiman911, Aug 12, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a big Austrolorp roo, Keoki, who is probally 9-10 minths old and had been the master of the coop for a while now. All my hens know and respect him and follow him everywhere. In the past he used to sleep on the top roost in the coop with all his girls.
    Over the last couple weeks when I check on them in the morning Keoki has a bunch of droppings on his back. He has stopped sleeping on the roost with his girls and is now sleeping under the roost and getting S**t on all the time. I've gone out at night and put Keoki up on the roost and his girls just move over and make room for him. I know he can jump up to the roost as I see him up there for afternoon nap.
    Its getting to the point where I don't want to carry him because I know what was on his back and his back goes under my arm...my DW has even complained that my shoulder smell like s**t and won't give me a hug.
    Whats up with him? Is he just getting to big to jump to the top roost when it is crowded with his girls? Doe he just have a warped turn on and into scatology and being humiliated and degraded?
    Any help as my big handsome shiny black roo is literally full of it and I don't want anything to do with him.

Aloha,
    Cory

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not sure whats going on with him, but I would try prevent him from sleeping UNDER the roost - put wire up or block that area anyway you can!!!
    check on him an hour or so after dark, and put him back on the roost if he is sleeping somewhere else.

good luck!

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Doe he just have a warped turn on and into scatology and being humiliated and degraded? [​IMG]

LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I would go out after dark and keep putting him on the roost you may have to do it for a week or two but he will get the ideal.

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    You could put a droppings board under the roost if he decides to never go back up there. Seems like there must be a reason that he stopped though. Check his feet for any boo-boos, is the roost really narrow? Is there enough space for him? I don't know...weird, huh?
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by